FREE Level I-Art Lesson I-2: The Czech Cat
Learn to draw a cat inspired by a Czech charm bracelet
The lesson is suitable for students in kindergarten through adult.
Art Lesson Description:
We were looking for a drawing of a cat that was so simple that even a kindergartener could draw it and feel proud of the results. In a Czech Republic jewelry shop we found a solution. Among a collection of charm bracelet pieces was this easy-to-draw cat!
Beginners, from kindergarteners through adults, will find this lesson interesting, and will discover they CAN draw more than stick figures!
The lesson begins with a warm-up to practice drawing parts of the cat. A guided drawing provides enough guidance that your cat will indeed look like a cat. By the end of the lesson you will have a chance to color the cat and its background so that your unique cat will have a story all its own.
This lesson includes both POWERPOINT and VIDEO versions of the lesson plus 2 downloadable printouts: a warmup and a drawing of the cat.
List of Supplies:
- 1 sheet of glossy printer paper
- Fine tipped permanent black marker
- Washable colored markers
- 1 Czech Cat warm-up (comes with the lesson)
Suggestions for Cross-Curricular Connections:
- Science: Read about the science of cats on the page "Cat Facts and Trivia."
- Study a poem, folktale, or fable about cats, and write a poem or story about your cat.
- Write a story about your cat. Where does it live? What does it like do? What interesting thing happened to the cat one day?
Estimated Time to Complete the Lesson:
- Introduction through guided drawing: 20 minutes
- Finishing the picture: 25 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
Click here to post YOUR work on the Student Gallery when you finish the art lesson!