Level I-Art Lesson 3: The Hungarian Insects
Learn to draw insects inspired by Hungarian yard art
The lesson is suitable for students in kindergarten through adult.
Art Lesson Description:
In the city of Pécs, Hungary, we found a quaint yard whose fence was decorated with these colorful clay and wire insects. One look at their friendly, bulging eyes, and we knew we had found an art lesson!
Since the insects we found are both insect-like and almost human (the eyes seem to stare at the passerby),
- The lesson includes a review of the common characteristics of real insects.
- In this way, the lesson teaches science and is also an introduction to the liberties an artist might like to take with any subject.
- The lesson begins with a warm-up to practice drawing parts of the insect.
- A guided drawing helps you draw one or more insects, with or without wings.
- By the end of the lesson you will color your insects with colored markers. The final result can be even MORE colorful than the originals!
This lesson includes both POWERPOINT and VIDEO versions of the lesson plus 2 downloadable printouts: a warmup and a drawing of the insects.
List of Supplies for Each Student:
- 1 insect warm-up print-out (it comes with the lesson)
- 1 sheet of glossy printer paper (#ad)
- Fine tipped permanent black marker (#ad)
- Washable colored markers (#ad)
Suggestions for Cross-Curricular Connections:
- Social Studies: Use this lesson as an introduction to the geography and history of Hungary.
- Writing: Write a story. Where do these fantastic insects live? What adventures do they have?
- Literature: Eric Carle has written several books about insects.
- Use the lesson to learn the parts of an insect’s body.
- Get an Antworks (#ad) ant farm and watch a colony of ants build tunnels.
- Learn about garden insects in Guests in Your Garden: Facts and Folklore About Bugs, Slugs, and other Garden Creatures and learn about garden insects
- Kids Gardening creates opportunities for kids to learn through gardening. Find resources for kids who want to garden at Journey to Forever.
- Learn about insects native to Hungary
Approximate Time to Complete the Art Lesson:
- Introduction through guided drawing: 20 minutes (1 bug) - 30 minutes (3 bugs)
- Finishing the drawing: 25 minutes (1 bug) - 40 minutes (3 bugs)
- Total time: 45 - 70 minutes