Level III-Art Lesson 6: The Eastern European Firebird
Learn to draw the mythical firebird and learn stories about firebirds
Art Lesson Description:
The firebird is a common feature in Russian and Ukrainian culture. “The Little Hunchbacked Horse,” a popular folktale, and the Firebird ballet both tell tales of this magical bird whose feathers glow and light the way through the darkness to success.
Since glowing feathers are the most important feature of a firebird, the artist drawing a firebird must find a way to depict this glow, and finding a solution to this problem is an interesting part of this lesson. The lesson is also an introduction to mixed media—combining chalk pastels, colored pencils, and washable markers.
THIS LESSON IS OFFERED IN BOTH VIDEO AND POWERPOINT FORMATS
List of Supplies for Each Student:
- 1 firebird warm-up
- 1 sheet of 11” x 17” drawing paper
- 1 set of colored pencils
- 1 set of washable markers
- 1 set of chalk pastels
- 1 fine tipped black magic marker
Suggestions for Cross-Curricular Connections:
- Read The Firebird — a Ukrainian fairy tale. The story is about a boy who chooses a horse, even though everyone else thinks the horse is the worst choice possible. With the help of the horse and a firebird, he goes on may adventures and becomes a hero.
- Read the story of “The Little Humpbacked Horse.” Ivan, the youngest of three sons, discovers a magnificent mare stealing hay from the family fields. When he frees the mare, he's rewarded with three colts. He keeps the one that is humpbacked, and the colt guides him on a series of adventures, until he eventually becomes Tsar.
- Watch a video of The Little Humpbacked Horse. Make sure to go to settings for subtitles!
- Learn more about the firebird and about Russian folk arts at http://artmundus.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/russia-continued/
- Music and Dance:
- Art: Compare how you have depicted lights glowing in the darkness with Rembrandt’s techniques in his famous painting, The Night Watch. Learn the story of Rembrandt's life and work. Enjoy an interactive look at his painting.
- Social Studies: Learn about the geography of Russia and Ukraine.
- Enjoy other lessons that feature Ukraine: The Ukrainian Rooster, the Face With Hidden Surprises, The Convent in L'viv, The Carpathian Church, and the The Ukrainian Cat.
Approximate Time to Complete the Art Class:
- Introduction through guided drawing: 30 minutes
- Finishing the drawing: 50 minutes
- Total time: 80 minutes