Level IV-Art Lesson 1: The Ukrainian Face With Hidden Surprises
Learn to draw a face that has birds, hands, fish, and other pictures hidden in it
The lesson is suitable for students in grade 6 through adult.
Art Lesson Description:
At one moment the original painting looks like a face, but when you look again, you suddenly see two birds, two hands, and several fish! Drawing these birds-that-become-a-face is fun and easy, especially since there are opportunities to add your own hidden secrets. The lesson also provides an opportunity to study symmetry and asymmetry.
The lesson asks students to choose a palette of analogous colors from their set of oil pastels. Blending the pastels with a pencil eraser creates a finish similar to an oil painting, and makes the finished work impressive. Have fun creating your own visual surprises as you draw!
This lesson includes both POWERPOINT and VIDEO versions of the lesson plus 2 downloadable printouts: a warmup and a drawing of the face.
List of Supplies for Each Student:
- 1 warm-up for the face with hidden surprises (this is included with the lesson)
- 1 fine tipped permanent black marker
- 1 eraser on an ordinary pencil
- 1 sheet of 11" x 14" drawing paper
- 1 set of oil pastels
Suggestions for Cross-Curricular Connections:
- Read Ukraine: Picture Book (Educational Children's Books Collection) - Level 2 (Planet Collection 211).
- Read a novel about the Chernobel incident: Radiant Girl by
- Learn about Ukraine's history during the last 100 years.
- Read about four important Ukrainian historical events.
- Discover interesting facts about Ukraine. (Did you know that an old Ukrainian constitution may have provided the model for the US Constitution?).
- Study maps of Ukraine.
Other Hidden Images in Art:
- Compare the way your drawing uses hidden images to the works of M. C. Escher or the work of Bev Doolittle.
- You may be surprised at the images hidden in Van Gogh's work!
- The modern Dutch artist Desiree Palmen uses people for his canvas. He paints them so that them disappear into their surroundings.
- Make sure to enjoy ArtAchive's other lessons that feature camouflage: Hiding Butterflies, and Tesselations.
- Enjoy some Ukrainian folk music and see some traditional Ukrainian costumes.
- Watch two performers as they get ready to sing at the Russian Club in front of the picture for our lesson.
- Watch a video to see how camouflage helps birds survive.
- Learn about 10 amazingly well-camouflaged animals.
- National Geographic shows pictures of camouflaged animals.
Approximate Time to Complete the Art Class:
- Introduction through guided drawing: 30 minutes
- Using oil pastels: 60 minutes
- Total time: 90 minutes