Level IV-Lesson 3: The Albatross and the Galleon Ship
Learn to draw an ocean scene based on a batik from Ukraine
Art Lesson Description:
We all know that ships can configure their sails to sail against the wind. It may come as a surprise, however, that the albatross, the bird with the longest wingspan in the world, flies across the ocean using the same principles. The bird is so successful at using the power of wind and waves that it can fly around the world. It seldom returns to land except to rear its young.
Our original picture is a batik done by a theatre student at the Artistic Theatrical College of Odessa, Ukraine. It shows both a ship and an albatross. The waves, the ship, and the albatross are linked into one energetic scene!
Controlling watercolor paint can be difficult.
- This lesson makes the medium more manageable by combining watercolor with oil pastels.
- The oil pastels provide an oily resist that helps control the watercolor while also providing an interesting contrast in texture.
- The lesson ends with an interesting technique—using salt sprinkled on wet paint to create the foaming of the waves.
THIS LESSON IS OFFERED IN BOTH VIDEO AND POWERPOINT FORMATS
Learn Watercolor Techniques for Beginners by clicking here.
List of Supplies for Each Student:
- 1 warm-up for the albatross and the ship
- 1 fine tipped black magic marker
- An 11” x 11” (or larger) square of watercolor paper
- 1 set of oil pastels (PowerPoint version) or a white oil pastel (Video version)
- 1 set of watercolors
- 1 scrap of watercolor paper about 4” x 4”
- Table salt in a salt shaker
Suggestions for Cross-Curricular Connections:
- Learn how to sail a full-rigged ship in three steps at these three sites:
- Learn about the albatross
- Learn how watercolors were developed.
- Learn about ocean waves
- Learn why the ocean is salty and why people cannot drink sea water.
History: The galleon ship
- Why the galleon ship was such an improvement over previous ship designs
- Learn the parts of the galleon ship
- Spain used galleon ships to explore the New World
- Sir Francis Drake sailed a galleon ship in the defeat of the Spanish Armada.
- Sir Walter Raleigh sailed a galleon ship to defeat the Spanish fleet a second time.
- Spanish galleons made trade links between Asia and North America
Approximate Time to Complete the Art Class:
- Introduction through guided drawing: 40 minutes
- Finishing the drawing: 50 minutes
- Total time: 90 minutes