Level IV-Art Lesson 9: The Rooftops of Zagreb
The lesson is suitable for students in grade 6 through adult.
Art Lesson Description:
A favorite activity of visitors to Zagreb, the capitol of Croatia, is to climb the steep staircase on the hillside near the city’s center to view the rooftops. One of the most interesting roofs in the city is St. Mark’s Church, whose colorful tiles show the coats of arms of both the city and the nation. As we wrote this lesson we wondered, what if ALL the roofs in Zagreb were as interesting as the one on this church?—and so began the lesson!
The lesson asks students to
- Contrast rectilinear lines with curvilinear lines, and
- Contrast warm colors on the rooftops with cool colors in the sky.
You are sure to be delighted with the results of these contrasts!
In addition, the lesson offers a wonderful opportunity to experiment with mixing the colors of the watercolor palette.
This lesson includes both POWERPOINT and VIDEO versions of the lesson plus a downloadable printout of a warmup.
Learn Watercolor Techniques for Beginners by clicking here.
List of Supplies for Each Student:
- 1 copy of the warm-up (this is included with the lesson)
- 1 sheet of 11" x 15" watercolor paper
- 1 fine tipped permanent black marker
- Watercolor paint (find higher quality watercolor paints here)
- Set of brushes
- Drawing board: (Make your own by cutting an 18" x 24" piece of 1/4" masonite)
- Masking tape
- 1 bottle or cup for rinsing brushes
Suggestions for Cross-Curricular Connections:
Music: The lesson includes a link to Croatian folk songs.
- Learn about the history of Croatia at these four sites.
- Learn about heraldry, and create your own coat of arms.
Geography: Enjoy more pictures of Croatia.
Writing: Croatia has several UNESCO world heritage sites. Learn about them and write an advertisement for one of these sites.
Approximate Time to Complete the Art Class:
- Drawing the city: 30 minutes
- Painting the picture: 45 minutes
- Total time: 75 minutes