FREE: Level I-Art Lesson 1: Simple Lines
Learn to Recognize and Draw the Basic Lines
The lesson is suitable for any age level, Kindergarten and above.
Art Lesson Description:
At the edge of the tiny village of Handzlówka, Poland, stands a church that looks very plain from the outside. But step inside, like we did late one winter, you will discover an interior covered with beautiful geometric patterns.
This lesson uses some of the patterns from the church’s decorated walls to teach the basic lines that will be the building blocks for all the drawings used in the ArtAchieve program. This lesson is an excellent place to start if you are a beginner.
You will be asked to choose one of three exercises. They range from easy to difficult. Find a level that seems challenging but not overwhelming. The exercises of using your body to make the shape of lines may seem silly at first, but they are a sure way to fix the concepts in your mind. Don’t skip them! In later art lessons, you will use these types of lines to learn to draw many interesting subjects!
This lesson includes a POWERPOINT version of the lesson and 3 downloadable warmups.
List of Supplies for Each Student:
- simple lines warm-up print-out of your choice (comes with the lesson)
- fine tipped permanent black marker (#ad)
Suggestions for Cross-Curricular Connections:
- When a Line Bends . . . A Shape Begins (#ad) will be fun for younger children and will help the learn to distinguish shapes.
- Learn about polygons with The Greedy Triangle (#ad)
- Learn about basic shapes with Shape by Shape (#ad)
- Lines (#ad) is a highly recommended book that reinforces the concepts in this lesson and introduces us to famous 20th Century art that uses the lines.
- In The Line, (#ad) a little girl's flights of fancy begin when she comes across a pencil line and instantly whips it into a slide. The book celebrates the imagination and reinforces the concepts in this art lesson.
Estimated Time to Complete the Lesson:
- 25 minutes