FREE Level I- Art Lesson 1C: Shading Rounded Objects
Learn principles, tools, and skills needed for pencil shading on rounded objects
The lesson is suitable for grades 4 through adult.
Art Lesson Description
This FREE lesson teaches students to use drawing pencils to shade rounded objects in order to make them look three-dimensional.
- The lesson teaches students the word chiaroscuro,
- Asks students to study the chiaroscuro used in a drawing by Rembrandt, and
- Begins with a warm-up that helps students discover the differences between three drawing pencils: HB, 3B, and 5B.
The lesson introduces these and other principles of pencil shading:
- Beginning with a mid-tone, and then adding highlight and shadow,
- Establishing the direction of the light source,
- Using gradual shifts in tone to suggest roundness,
- Using shading to ground an object.
The skills learned in this lesson can be used to more successfully complete the following ArtAchieve Lessons:
This lesson includes both VIDEO and POWERPOINT versions of the lesson.
List of Supplies for Each Student:
- Sheet of 11" x 14" drawing paper—CUT IN HALF (11" x 7")
- 3 drawing pencils—HB, 3B, and 5B (light, medium, & dark)
- Kneaded eraser
- Blending stick
- Graphite bar
- NOTE: No printed warm-up is needed for this lesson
Approximate Time to Complete the Lesson:
- Warm-up: 10 minutes
- Drawing and shading the box: 35 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes